Making Mazes

Back to index

This sample program produces a very simple "maze" using a 5x5 grid. Get this program up and running and study it carefully so that you understand how it works.
#!/usr/bin/python # simple maze using 5x5 grid from Tkinter import * master = Tk() w = Canvas(master, width=200, height=200) w.pack() c=0 i=0 m= [0,0,0,0,0, 0,1,1,1,0, 0,1,0,1,0, 0,1,1,1,0, 0,0,0,0,0,] for x in m: if x == 1: c='blue' else: c='black' w.create_rectangle(40*(i%5),40*(i/5),40*(i%5)+40,40*(i/5)+40,fill=c) i += 1 mainloop()
There are a couple key parts of this demo program. First of all, there's the array called m. It could have been written as one long line, but instead it was broken up into five lines so that its purpose is more comprehensible. You should have realized that the ones in the array correspond to blue squares in the output graphic and that the zeroes in the array correspond to black squares. The key line which produces the output is this line:
w.create_rectangle(40*(i%5),40*(i/5),40*(i%5)+40,40*(i/5)+40,fill=c)
As long as you understand how the modulus operator works, this line should be fairly easy to interpret. If not, then you need to spend some time experimenting with the modulus operator until you understand how it works.
ASSIGNMENT:

Make the following changes to the sample program:

1. Create a maze based on a 10x10 grid
  2. You may increase the size of the canvas area to accomodate 20x20 squares or you can leave the canvas size the same and work with smaller squares
  3. Make your maze much more interesting than the one produced by the sample program